The Toy Box
290-bed student accommodation
Situated within Birmingham City Centre, the development known as Toybox, due to its original usage as a factory producing toys, commenced on site on 8 May 2018 with demolition and construction of 290 beds, amenities spaces and landscaping. Practical completion was achieved within an astonishing 69 week period on 2 September 2019.
Torsion Engineering undertook the full supply, design, and installation of all mechanical, electrical services and data services within this purpose-built high specification new high specification mechanical and electrical installation for 290 newly built self-contained mini apartments for student residential accommodation in the heart of Birmingham. the building is spread across 14 floors including gym, games room, study area, laundry room and reception office. The project was completed within a staggering 69 week time period from the start of construction to practical completion, which was successfully achieved on the 2nd of September 2019. The works included the design, supply and installation of the following mechanical, electrical and data services.
- LV Distribution
- Fire Alarm
- Access Control
- Small Power
- Emergency Lighting
- Lightning Protection
- Intruder Alarm
- Remote Access
- Gas and Heating interlock systems
- Smart Fibre Installation
- Satellite Television
- Remote Access to the building CCTV and BMS systems
- BCWS, HWSF and HWSR distribution pipework.
- Local Ventilation system to all apartments
- Mechanical Smoke Extract system
- Natural Gas distribution pipework system and associated safety devices
- Natural Gas-fired CHP plant.
- Natural Gas-fired Water Heaters
- Inverter Driven Primary and Secondary Booster Set
- Remote Alarm Monitoring
- Daikin VRV
- Daikin Split Comms Room System
- Heat Recovery Ventilation system
- New Sanitaryware installed to serve the Accessible Toilets and Cleaners Sinks
- CAT 1 Sprinkler system throughout